With Brecon playing a postponed Cup match at the weekend, Llangennech were the visitors at Narberth and whoever won the match was sure to go to the top of the Championship (West) Division.

This was meant to be the Otters sternest test of the season so far but by putting on their best performance of the season they managed to come away with a comfortable win.

Match sponsors Kevin Lane & Co, Solicitors presenting Roy Osborn with Man of Match Award.
Match sponsors Kevin Lane & Co, Solicitors presenting Roy Osborn with Man of Match Award. (Pic supplied)

There was very little between the sides early on and after the first fifteen minutes the only points on the board were two successful penalties kicked by Narberth fly half Jonathan Rogers (6-0). Then, from broken play about twenty metres from the visitors’ line Rogers put in a pin point kick for his winger Dean James who collected the ball on the bounce and dived over the try line near the corner flag for an excellent try. Rogers converted to extend the Otters lead to 13-0.

Llangennech spent the next ten minutes camped near the Otters try line and when penalties were awarded, they chose to kick to the corner rather than go for goal. However, some solid tackling from the entire Narberth team kept the visitors out and eventually the home team were able to clear their line.

When Llangennech attempted to run the ball about twenty metres from the Otters try line, another thumping tackle saw centre Hedd Nicholas win the ball at the breakdown and pass on to Rogers who put wing Aled Rees away down the right hand touchline. When tackled, Rees passed inside to supporting 2nd Row Rhys Williams who was brought down just short of the try line but Rogers was once again on hand to dive on the ball over the visitors line to score the Otters third try which he duly converted to make the score 20-0.

Llangennech continued to put the Otters under pressure and eventually just on half time they were rewarded with a try scored by their full back to get their first points on the board (20-5).

After the break the Otters came out all guns blazing and within ten minutes had scored two further tries. The first from a catch and drive close to the visitors line resulted in wing Dean James joining the rolling maul and diving over the line for a try converted by Rogers (27-5).

Then a dash round the blind side of a scrum saw scrum half Lewys Gibby put full back Ashley Sutton into space and he swiftly passed to No.8 Roy Osborn who, when tackled, passed inside to Aled Rees who ran in unopposed for a further try converted by Rogers (34-5). Then, another turnover at the breakdown by Osborn saw 2nd Row Will Blackburn driving forward.

The ball was quickly recycled and fed to wing James who thundered down the touchline beating three defenders before diving over the line in the clubhouse corner for his third try (39-5). Straight from the kick off captain Tom Powell broke downfield and ran a full fifty metres before being tackled on the visitors 22m line.

The ball was recycled and moved quickly across the Otters back line and an overlap saw centre Ilan Phillips dive over in the top corner for the Otters sixth and final try (44-5). In all fairness Llangennech stuck at it right to the end of the match and were eventually rewarded with two unconverted tries to bring the final score to 44-15.